- Proof of a successful completion of a Bachelor degree course in Landscape Architecture or Landscape Planning, Landscape Construction, Landscape Management, Architecture, Urban Planning, Spatial Planning, Environmental Planning or related disciplines with a planning and spatial relevance
- Successful completion of the selection process based on the following criteria: focus of study field, average grade and thesis subject of the first degree course, knowledge and experience gained as a result of practical work in Landscape Architecture or Spatial Planning (portfolio, duration of practical experience, etc.)
Graduates with qualifications beyond the Bachelor's level will also be considered for acceptance by the Admission Committee upon request.
The IMLA programme is free of tuition for all residents of the European Union (EU).
Non-EU citizens are required to pay a tuition fee of € 750 per semester.
In addition, there are moderate administrative fees for all students (EU and non-EU citizens).
The amount varies depending on the location of studies:
An English language certificate of level B2 in the European Reference Framework for Languages CEFR (or equivalent) is required at application stage.
Application deadline: each year by 15 November.
International applicants are strongly recommended to submit their application as early as possible in order to avoid delays during the application peak time.
The application portal opens in the beginning of September.
Programme start is each year in the summer semester, mid of March of the year following the application deadline. The location of studies alternates annually between Nürtingen and Freising (Weihenstephan) - depending on the year of the application:
- Applications submitted until 15 November 2020 will be valid for the programme start in March 2021 at Nürtingen-Geislingen University near Stuttgart
- Applications submitted until 15 November 2021 will be valid for the programme start in March 2022 at Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University near Munich
IMLA applications are processed only online via the Uni-Assist application service. The online application will open in the beginning of September.
Please proceed as follows:
- Create your online account: Please register first at the Uni-Assist Application Portal. After your registration you will receive an email. Please confirm your registration. After the confirmation you will receive your user account.
- Complete your online application: Under the topic 'University' select 'HfWU Nürtingen-Geislingen' and then 'International Master of Landscape Architecture'. Attention: our programme is only available in the selection mode 'summer term' and not before September. Next to the completed online application form, we require the following digital documents:
- Letter of Motivation
- Certificate of successful completion of the final examination of the First Degree Course. If you have not yet completed your bachelor programme at the time of the application, please provide proof of the ECTS you have achieved so far, including grades
- Certificate of your Higher Education Entrance Qualification (HEEQ)/Higher Secondary Education (typically your school leaving certificate)
- English Language Certificate (B2 Level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) or any equivalent certificate, for example TOEFL IBT 72-94)
- If available, proof of professional practice in the field of your studies
- Digital portfolio providing an overview of your academic and, if available, professional work. Prioritiy will be given to portfolios showing experience in landscape and urban design, and sustainability topics.
- All documents need to be in German or English. If your documents have been issued in another language, you need to provide an official translation
- Pay the handling fee
Please note, that your application will only be processed by uni-assist after receipt of payment. You can find more information here.. The following applicants are exempt from the handling fee: Citizens of the European Union, the European Economic Area and Switzerland; and applicants with a German Bachelor's degree
What happens next?
Uni-Assist will keep you informed about the status of your application. Uni-Assist forwards all processed IMLA applications to Nürtingen-Geislingen University, no matter if your location of studies will be Nürtingen or Freising. The IMLA programme coordinator in Nürtingen will inform you about the success of your application.You may contact the programme coordinator ( imla(at)hfwu.de ) if you have any questions concerning the application and admission process.
Applicants requiring a visa for long stays in Germany are advised to apply for this document in good time. More information on visa issues is published by the German Academic Exchange Service
Are you looking for a scholarship? Please consider the following databases: