- Proof of a successful completion of a Bachelor degree course in Landscape Architecture or Landscape Planning, Landscape Construction, Landscape Management, Architecture, Urban Planning, Spatial Planning, Environmental Planning or related disciplines with a planning and spatial relevance
- Successful completion of the selection process based on the following criteria: focus of study field, average grade and thesis subject of the first degree course, knowledge and experience gained as a result of practical work in Landscape Architecture or Spatial Planning (portfolio, duration of practical experience, etc.)
Graduates with qualifications beyond the Bachelor's level will also be considered for acceptance by the Admission Committee upon request.
The IMLA programme is free of tuition for all residents of the European Union (EU).
Non-EU citizens are required to pay a tuition fee of € 750 per semester.
In addition, there are moderate administrative fees for all students (EU and non-EU citizens).
The amount varies depending on the location of studies:
An English language certificate of level B2 in the European Reference Framework for Languages CEFR (or equivalent) is required at application stage. Margin compared to the IELTS scheme is 5.5.
Application deadline: each year by 15 November.
International applicants are strongly recommended to submit their application as early as possible in order to avoid delays during the application peak time. All information on the applicaton procedure can be found on this website.
Programme start is each year in the summer semester, mid of March of the year following the application deadline. The location of studies alternates annually between Nürtingen and Freising (Weihenstephan) - depending on the year of the application:
- Applications submitted until 15 November 2023 will be valid for the programme start in March 2024 at Weihenstephan-Triesdorf University near Munich
- Applications submitted until 15 November 2024 will be valid for the programme start in March 2025 at Nürtingen-Geislingen University near Stuttgart
Recognition of foreign degree documents
Attention: foreign degree certificates need to be recognized in good time before your application to the master programme.
How to seek for degree recognition:
Option 1 (free of charge but paper-based and by land mail):
Apply early for recognition of your Bachelor's degree at the Studienkolleg Konstanz. Note: this is a paper-based process. This means that you need to send your documents by post / land mail to the Studienkolleg Konstanz. They will certify the recognition and converted final grade of your degree and send that back to you. This process is free of charge, but requires good time management. You can then apply online at HfWU and submit this recognition certificate together with your other documents. Mind the application deadline: 15.11.
Option 2 (75 Euro but digital):
Seek for digital recognition of your degree certificates via Uni-Assist. Go to https://my.uni-assist.de. Select in that case HSWT as the university you want to apply for and submit everything for digital recognition, pay the processing fee. Recognition will be send back to you digitally. This process takes around four to six weeks, so make sure you do this also early enough. You can then apply online at HfWU and submit this recognition certificate together with your other documents. Mind the application deadline: 15.11.
Applications are received digitally by Nürtingen-Geislingen University until November 15 of each year.
For more information, please proceed to the master application website at HfWU Nürtingen-Geislingen.
Required documents for the application
Next to the completed online application form, we require the following digital documents:
- Letter of Motivation
- Foreign degree holders: degree recognition document from Studienkolleg Konstanz or uni-assist (VPD)
- Certificate of successful completion of the final examination of the First Degree Course. This includes both the diploma certificate(s) and the transcript of records
- If you have not yet completed your bachelor programme at the time of the application, please provide proof of the ECTS you have achieved so far, including grades
- Certificate of your Higher Education Entrance Qualification (HEEQ)/Higher Secondary Education (typically your school leaving certificate)
- English Language Certificate (B2 Level based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR) or any equivalent certificate, for example TOEFL IBT 72-94)
- If available, proof of professional practice in the field of your studies
- Digital portfolio providing an overview of your academic and, if available, professional work. Prioritiy will be given to portfolios showing experience in landscape and urban design, and sustainability topics.
- Degree holders from India, Vietnam and China need to submit a valid APS certificate at the time of the application deadline
- All documents need to be in German or English. If your documents have been issued in another language, you need to provide an official translation
What happens next?
We receive applications until November 15 of each year. The admission committee is reviewing all applications after this date. We usually inform about acceptance at the end of November. You will be informed by email through the student secretariat at HfWU Nürtingen-Geislingen.
Applicants requiring a visa for long stays in Germany are advised to apply for this document in good time. More information on visa issues is published by the German Academic Exchange Service
Are you looking for a scholarship? Please consider the following databases: